The issue of global warming and climate change has been amplified in the past years as we now see its actual effects and manifestations through the melting of polar ice caps, poor air quality, extinction of wildlife, extreme wildfires, and heatwaves.
One way to lessen these massive effects is to start going green via conserving energy, reducing pollution, and living in an eco-friendly way. Going eco-friendly would help save the environment, and at the same time, lessen one’s living costs.
Should being eco-friendly sound magnanimous and foreign to you, fret not as individuals can jumpstart with the change in their own homes. If you are living in a condo in Manila, Quezon City, and Cebu, here are some tips on how you can transform your condominium into an eco-friendly space.
Switch to LED Lights
Incandescent light bulbs surely ring a fancy bell. However, LED lights are a better alternative if you are looking for a way to be eco-friendly. Aside from contributing to the betterment of the environment, LED lights also take a huge chunk of money from your monthly electricity bills and last longer.
Furnish your space with indoor plants
Indoor plants provide effective indoor air cleaning. If you are worried that they might make your condo look like a jungle, we have prepared a list of plants that are not only low maintenance but are also aesthetically pleasing which could blend in any interior.
The following are some of the best indoor plants for condos and their small care tips:
- Ferns only need indirect light and regular watering to survive indoors.
- Majesty Palm Plant is the best choice if you’re going with the tropical look. It only needs six hours of direct sunlight every day.
- Cacti are a very low-maintenance plant that only needs to be watered at least once a week.
- Rubber Plants have broad and glossy leaves which adds personality to your condo and does not need extreme attention as it only needs indirect sunlight and moist soil.
Grow your own
If you are fond of cooking, you may also try growing your own herbs on the balcony of your condominium. Most herbs are very low maintenance which you can harvest in a span of a few months. For a small space like a condominium, you may want to try planting basil, mint, chives, oregano, parsley, rosemary, and thyme. Aside from adding aesthetic points to your condo design, they also provide free and eco-friendly air cleaning.
Invest in a Smart Home System
A smart home system allows you to control appliances, lights, thermostats, and other devices at the palm of your hand! Investing in a smart home system at your home provides not only security but also convenience and cost savings. Some great products are Amazon Echo, Google Home, and Sonos One.
Recycle furniture and condo equipment
Recycling your old furniture and fixtures from your condo can help avoid both monetary and environmental costs! By opting to donate your pre-loved furniture, you are preventing it from going to the landfill since most items can’t be reused.
Below is a list of how you can prepare for your furniture recycling process:
1. Make sure to remove all your personal items from your furniture. For your desks, make sure to empty the drawers. For couches, make sure to remove any loose change or receipts.
2. Find out the base material of your furniture. Determine if your desk table is made out of wood or synthetic wood. Couches and chairs are typically padded in linen, cotton, or leather.
3. For furniture that is mostly metal, you can contact a scrap metal dealer to check and see if it can be picked up for recycling.
4. For other forms of furniture, you can contact different organizations or even your local second-hand store to see if you can donate your product. You can even list your product through an online selling platform such as Facebook Marketplace or different Facebook groups. Just make sure that your furniture is clean and free of any infestations!
Buy Second-hand furniture
Purchasing second-hand furniture not only saves costs but is also sustainable! Second-hand items aren't always low-quality furniture but it may be a more affordable option compared to the same new piece of item. You can visit different furniture shops in your area or even online to purchase your desired item.
Replace air conditioners with eco-friendly ones
The usual AC or Air Conditioner uses refrigerants that release what is commonly called AC gases, causing the depletion of Ozone and damage to the environment! Buying an eco-friendly AC uses refrigerants that do not deplete the Ozone layer and don't damage the environment.
Repaint or reface, but not replace!
Transforming your pre-loved items into something else is another option too! Instead of purchasing a new piece of item, check if there is another way to use the product. This not only causes less waste pollution but also conserves resources and reduces costs!
Earth Saving Kitchen Sinks
If you plan on renovating your condo’s sinks to an eco-friendly one, opt for those made of stainless steel or copper. Aside from giving a modern aesthetic to your space, these are also made out of recycled materials, thus, lessening materials waste. You might also want to install sinks with aerators if you are keen on conserving water.
Buy a water filter
Water filters are useful in removing unwanted substances from water such as sediment, taste and odor, hardness, and bacteria, resulting in better quality and safer water. Different types of water filters have different water issues and many filters use a combination of these methods to perform multiple levels of filtration so make sure to do a bit of research before purchasing your water filter that suits your taste.
Install a low-flow showerhead
You can step up your water-conserving tricks by installing a low-flow showerhead in your bathroom as studies show that almost 20% of a household’s water consumption comes from showers. If you are a big fan of high water pressure, you won’t need to worry about getting less of it when you switch to a low-flow one!
Use natural cleaning products
Most of the household cleaning products are encapsulated in plastic containers. If this is not environmentally bad enough, it is also made up of toxic chemicals that could harm the user and the environment.
For an eco-friendlier living space, we have listed down the alternative cleaning materials you may need in your condo:
- Window cleaner: ¼ cup of white vinegar and 2 cups of warm water
- Anti-bacterial cleaner: ¼ cup of white vinegar, 1 tbsp of baking soda, and 1 liter of hot water
- Room spray: 2 cups of warm water and essential oil
- Carpet Stains: 1:1 water and vinegar for scrubbing, and soap/water solution for rinsing
- Clogged Drains: 1 gallon of hot water, ½ cup of baking soda, ½ cup of vinegar, and ½ cup of salt
Living in a small space like a condominium in the middle of a busy city can surely take a toll on someone. However, these ideas of how to become eco-friendly without sacrificing aesthetics might help in lessening the dullness in your place.
If you are still hunting for a condo to start the switch, you may want to take a look at Vista Residences’ condominiums. Being the condominium arm of the country’s largest homebuilder Vista Land & Lifescapes, Inc., it offers ready for occupancy condo and pre selling condo projects in Manila and Quezon City that are strategically placed in close proximity to developed business districts and prestigious universities.
For more information on Vista Residences, email [email protected], follow @VistaResidencesOfficial on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Youtube, or call the Marketing Office at 0999 886 4262 / 0917 582 5167.